How to Find Early Signs of Roofing Problems
We often run across all types of problems dealing with Phoenix roofing. The intense heat and fluctuating weather conditions make for an extremely harsh environment. With a quick check-up from time to time, you can prevent leaks and internal damage to your home.
We have compiled a list of common problems for you to look out for that will help you prevent damage to your home. Take a look at these common problems and if you see any of these beginning to happen, call us right away so we can do some quick preventative work to avoid future costly repairs.
1. Any broken or cracked tiles can cause slipping and expose the underlayment. These types of repairs are quick and inexpensive. Repairing these before the storm will prevent leaking and protect your underlayment from deteriorating.
2. With the wind gusts and flash storms in the greater Phoenix area, tiles can easily get blown off the roof. If they are not broken, they can be easily re-fitted or replaced. However, if there is a significant portion of the roof that was blown off, this signifies a weak installation and a re-roof will most likely be necessary.
3. Excessive debris in the valley blocking the water drainage. Homes surrounded by trees invite debris into valleys and near flashings, which almost always lead to leaks. Proper cleaning of valleys and other maintenance will ensure this debris doesn’t ruin your roof.
3. With the amount of debris that blows around, or with overhanging trees or bushes, this can build up over time and block proper water drainage. this can cause standing water which can lead to leaks. Proper cleaning of valleys and water transport areas can ensure a healthy roof free of leaks and deterioration.
1. Shingles can easily get blown off from strong gusts here in the valley. Excessive amounts of missing shingles after a storm usually indicate that you are ready for a new roof. There are some tips below that can help you determine if you need a new roof. If you have any questions or just need a sanity check on your roof, please don’t hesitate to give us a call so we can stop by and give you a professional opinion.
2. Shingles can loos their granules over time and become slick. If you see a lot of these granules after a storm, this is a good indication that your roof may need to be replaced. The granules are an important part of the shingle because they protect the shingle and roof from the harmful UV rays from the intense sun. Once these are gone, your roof will deteriorate very quickly. Keep your home protected by looking under your rain gutters after each storm to see that there is not an excessive amount of granules.
3. Splitting can occur when shingles become brittle. Once this happens, you need a new roof. Give us a call right away for a quote.
4. Curling can occur when the shingle shrinks due to the harsh environmental conditions in Arizona. When this occurs…you know your roof needs replacing.
5. Flashing that is too short or missing can allow water to leak into your home. Flashing is a metal piece that directs water away from walls and valleys in your roof. This does not mean you need a new roof, but just some quick repairs that will protect your roof. The picture below shows a roof next to a wall that does not have flashing next to it.
- How to Maintain Your Roof
- Look for any cracked, broken or missing tile on your roof.
- Clean out valleys at least once a year.
- Make sure to call O&S Remodeling for a regular check-up or if you see anything happening with your roof.
- Why use a licensed contractor?
- Use a company that is licensed and registered with the arizona contractors association for your own protection
- Registered contractors allow you recourse if there are problems with any work or materials.
- O&S Roofing and Remodeling is licensed, bonded, and insured for your benefit
- Why do I need a check up on my roof?
- If you don’t have problems, we shake your hand and will revisit when you do. We don’t make up work that is un-necessary!
- We will be completely honest with you and explain all of the options that you will have.
- We are able to find any problems you may have on your roof and correct them in the best way.
Call us today for a free check-up and estimate at 623-695-6901